Re: Wanting opinions...

Sour grapes, and just plain wrong several points.

1.
>  De Raadt says his crack 60-person team of programmers, working in a tightly
focused fashion and starting with a core of tried-and-true Unix, puts out
better code than the slapdash Linux movement.

There are a lot more than 60 full time Linux programmers out there(and getting
paid for it), and the ones that make it to the top are truly the cream of the
crop.

2.
> As for Linus Torvalds, who created Linux and oversees development, De Raadt
says, "I don't know what his focus is at all anymore, but it isn't quality."
If you believe this, try to hack something together and submit it to vger, see
how far you get without massive clean ups and testing. I admit that there is
some old weird stuff in there for legacy reasons, but quality standards for
new code submission are pretty high.

> De Raadt says their beloved program is starting to look a lot like what
Microsoft puts out. "They have the same rapid development cycle, which leads
to crap," he says.
I'd like to see some evidence of this "crap" or some evidence of how Linux in
any way resembles Microsoft.

> De Raadt says BSD could have become the world's most popular open source
operating system, except that a lawsuit over BSD scared away developers.
LOL! And the Linux community hasn't been threatened? hello, SCO...
I have never even heard of a lawsuit against BSD.
We don't use it because it doesn't have nearly the hardware support,
community, documentation, or features of Linux.

> Torvalds, via e-mail, says De Raadt is "difficult" and declined to comment
further.
Amen to that, if only I had his restraint.

NZG.