GTK sound?

I may have asked this question before, but I think I have a little more
insight into it and still haven't solved it, so I thought I'd ping you guys
again.

I'm running Debian testing with KDE.
I've got a 2.6.11 kernel installed and working with ALSA sound.
No problems there, everything detects and works just fine.

The problem is that there appears to be some other sound layer, under the KDE
sound daemon, that I can't get rid of.

If I go into KDE and disable the sound system altogether, KDE sounds turn off,
but I still get sounds pretty much anytime I access a widget.
(move a scrollbar, minimize a window, etc...)

These are fainter than the main KDE sound, but quite obviously some kind of
event sound, and I can't seem to find a daemon that's running them.

Any ideas?
I'm stuck, even some key words to search for on Google would be helpful at
this point.

thx,
NZG.