Re: need a recommendation on a good laptop

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> Your best bet is going to be pretty much any Centrino notebook.  The

	I'm with Steve on this one.  I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 that I've
been very pleased with.  I've never been particular to Dell laptops (and
not claiming you should be), but this one has treated me and some friends
very well.

	The Intel 2100 (and 2200?) wireless is supported in the latest
Fedora Core 3 kernel, and has been for some time with SuSE 9.2 (and
presumably out-of-the box on 9.3).  However, you'll need to download the
firmware seperately due to licensing.  Everything else has just worked.
I've gotten on average 5 hours on one charge (watching 2 DVDs back to back
no less), and theoretically could get another 3 hours with the secondary
battery.

	The only issue I've had is that the 15.4 widescreen display needed
modelines added to the xorg.conf file to support the 1680x1050 resolution.

--
Richard H. Fifarek
rfifarek@fifarek.net