FC3/x86_64 + cdrecord.(i386|x86_64): what gives?

First up, the information you might want to know:
    - kernel 2.6.9-1.667 (x86_64)
    - kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 (x86_64)
    - cdrecord-2.01.1-5 (i386, x86_64)
    - "cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=8 -dummy -eject -data"

I'm a little perplexed at this problem.  The ISO image is a good one
(torrented image of CentOS 4.0 disc 1), and I can verify that by
mounting it as a loopback and having rsync work its magic on mirroring
the contents to some place in my home directory without a single error.
I'm also reasonably certain that the drive is good, but I wouldn't
discount it as problem; I'd definitely try to make replacing it the last
resort.  And cdrecord has always worked on this drive in the past with
-dummy.

I first tried burning the disc on the latest of the two kernels listed
to find that the burn would just outright fail after about 5 minutes:

    Track 01:    0 of  614 MB written.cdrecord: Success. write_g1: scsi
    sendcmd: no error
    CDB:  2A 00 00 00 01 F0 00 00 1F 00
    status: 0x4 (CONDITION MET/GOOD)
    resid: 63488
    cmd finished after 200.983s timeout 200s

    write track data: error after 1015808 bytes
    cdrecord: A write error occured.
    cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.
    Writing  time:  225.677s
    Average write speed  18.6x.
    Fixating...
    WARNING: Some drives don't like fixation in dummy mode.
    Fixating time:    0.002s
    cdrecord: fifo had 80 puts and 17 gets.
    cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 7 times full, min fill was 93%.

Just to see if it was the kernel, I went ahead and booted back in to
2.6.9-1.667.  Instead of failing like before, the process just hung
without displaying anything ultimately useful.

Then, as one last hope, I knocked myself back to the i386 build of
cdrecord, and it's still exhibiting the same behavior on both kernels.

I've exhausted everything I could think of.  Anyone have any advice?

--
Nathaniel Reindl
Fedora Core 3 kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 on an AMD Opteron 240