Re: Hard drive problem

Paul Cash wrote:

> <snip>  So I tried a 2G old hard drive. I didn't have enough space for
> knoppix, but I tried a small installation of fedora2. Just x and
> graphical internet selected. It went through without any problem, but
> on rebooting, the computer said no OS found. I ran knoppix and there
> is about 1.84G of data on the disk.<snip>

Sounds to me like your bios isn't set or cannot recognize anything other
than windows. There were/are old pcs out there that don't play well with
anything other than windows w/o bios upgrades. Compaq's are some of the
worst offenders, imho.

I've put ubunto on my old compaq, but FD3 wouldn't load in graphical
mode. Eventually, I fdisked the hard drive and went from a low-level
format and things worked better. Finally gave up and parted out the
machine. The install really worked better on the new motherboard and
more memory.

Your original hard drive could also be going bad or be in need of
reformat due to fragmentation.

Just some ideas.

Bonnie