Re: Looking for a command... - My solution...

Well, I couldn't find something that satisfied all my requirements, so I
just wrote it myself. I normally wouldn't send an attachment to a list
like this, but hey, its only 3k, so what the hay!

I originally wrote a script like the one discussed on this list, but it
had the problem that every command took the full 60 seconds, instead of
terminating if a command finished in less than 60 seconds. That was
fixed by writing a pair of scripts that killed each other and so on...
This had the problem of displaying some extraneous output that I
couldn't figure out to suppress. So, I just decided to write my own
program in C.

Any who, here is a tarball with the C code and the compiled command. Use
this in any way you like. If you see a bug, I'd love to hear about it.
It is pretty straightforward.

Ken

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 19:12 -0600, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> KDE users have a nice GUI dialog with a timeout feature.
>
> kdialog --help
>
> There is also whiptail which looks like a curses-based implementation of kdialog.
>
> The proper way to do what you want from the shell directly is via signals
> and use of the 'trap' command and 'wait' commands with forking your alarm.
>
> In Perl, this is trivial to hook into SIGALRM.
>
> Mike/

tcom.tar.bz