Gnome's dependence on networking...

I am not sure if this is X or Gnome or Fedora's fault, but I have
noticed a very annoying problem on my system. If I start my system up,
log into gnome, do a little work, and then change the networking by
unplugging the network cable or changing the hostname some how, Gnome (I
think) begins to have all sorts of trouble. The system sometimes locks
up and graphical applications won't start up. If I try to start an
application from the command prompt, let's say firefox, it gives me an
error to the effect that the X server located at 0.0 cannot be found.
What is the deal with this? I'd like to be able to unplug my network
cable and move somewhere without having to restart my system each time.

Ken