Re: DEBIAN

"Bryan J.Smith" <b.j.smith@ieee.org> wrote:

> How is Libranet v. Xandros these days.
> I've deployed little Debian-based other than Xandros as of late
> myself.

I have no first-hand knowledge of Xandros or any of the other Debian
off-shoots other than Libranet.  Libranet is getting long in the
tooth.   Libranet 2.8.1 was released August '03, and lots of newbies
on the Libranet forum are installing it, attempting with varying
degrees of success to upgrade to Testing, and getting just a little
frustrated along the way.  The rollout of Libranet 3.0 is mimicking
the rollout of Sarge -- It's on it's way; it doesn't get here until
it's ready; it's ready when we say it's ready!

I admit to being a little confused as to what I would recommend to a
newbie.  Libranet a year ago, but maybe not today.  I'm perfectly
happy with the new Debian installer, but It's still a daunting process
for most people. As I said earlier, x-window(s) is not part of the
default install.  <time passes> I've heard both good and bad things
about Libranet, Ubuntu, Mepis, Xandros, blah, blah, blah.  I can't
seem to remember ever hearing a single disparaging remark about
Knoppix.  Maybe that's the way to go.