Re: DEBIAN

Kyle Pointer wrote:
> Its pretty nice. But the package selection is kinda icky for
> multimedia and java. ( you can add your own sources )

Any "legally clean" distro must be.
People complain about Debian and Fedora not having such packages in
their "official" repositories, but it's for damn good reasons.
But it's easy to add the single repository to fetch them automagically.

> The package manager is great.

Ditto, and Debian has a massive official repository.
Debian's guidelines also make the packages a little leaner and uniform,
and not the inter-dependency hell found in other distros.
Sure, Red Hat and the Fedora Project has cleaned up a *lot* of the
interdependency hell in Fedora Core from Red Hat Linux before it, but it
will still never be as lean in base dependencies as Debian.

Furthermore, I still prefer APT for RPM more than YUM.
I'm glad to see Fedora Extras has rolled out an official APT-RPM with
all the FC3 goodies.
RPM v4 brought a lot to the CL3 (RHL8/9/FC1) series, and the new
improvements in CL4 starting with FC3 have finished it off IMHO.
Nice to see APT-RPM keep up with them too.
--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org
Currently Mobile