wtf ( fart ) is the deal with vsftpd on Fedora Core 3

This is really starting to bug me. I've been using Fedora Core for a
while as apposed to Gentoo, but for some strange irritating reason the
ftp server, vsftpd, is having some weird issues. I'm not sure why, but
if I try to connect to it it just times out after about 4 minutes. I
have tried changing the umask etc etc but nothing has worked yet. :(
		-- kyle pointer