Re: problem ... experimenting

On Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005, at 11:52 US/Central, bntly_rhds wrote:
> hey i was experimenting with my HOME folder, i made a backup first,
> and the experiment didn't work.  long story short, somehow, my usb
> drive thinks that ROOT owns all the files.  they originally belonged
> to me. root moved them and i didn't.  how do i put them back to me?
> i'm trying  the following:
>
> chown -R (or -Rv) bntly_rhds /media/TYEBLEN/bntly_rhds/
> chgrp -R (or -Rv) bntly_rhds /media/TYEBLEN/bntly_rhds/
> chmod -R u+rwx,g+rw-x,o+r-wx
>
> it says (with -Rv) that i'm not allowed (even as root) to change the
> user ID or group ID of the folders, and or files.

What filesystem is on your USB drive?  vfat, fat32, other?  My guess
would be that the USB has a vfat filesytem and that root is mounting it
with its own permissions and UID/GID, since vfat doesn't understand
users and permissions.

How did you mount the USB drive?  What OS you using?

Also 'man mount' and search for "uid=" or "gid="

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent