Re: Sound problems...

Well, by default if your using Fedora, which it sounds like. GNOME should use ALSA. Another sound server gnome can use is ESD
personally I prefer ESD over alsa because it allows for more than one application to use the sound device at a time. For example, GAIM
would normally use ALSA, but you can change gaims preferences to use ESD instead, you can do the same with XMMS, so then whenever you
start both the programs, instead of one locking the sound device they will both connect to it though a program called esddsp and it will pipe their
output to the sound device.
As for the low quality of sound, that probably because you have PCM turned up to high. The two main audio controls on most sound cards are
Master and PCM.
If PCM gets turned up to high things have a tennancy to become very very very ugly.
So I would suggest, setting PCM to about 30-40. And set Master to about 80-90 and then udjusting your actuall speakers accordingly. Then
the gnome sounds should sound less ugly.

    ----- Kyle Pointer