Re: ODBC to MySQL

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, William Underwood wrote:

> Access sucks(!) as an database frontend.  Don't know the technical
> details, but after much testing (both with 97 and 2000), it seems like
> it doesn't access the table until it see's a query, and then, instead of
> passing the query off to the db engine, it sucks the entire table(s)
> down to the local system and runs the query on it's own.  Once you have
> your Access app written, migrate to a VB app; the VB database interface
> actually does pass the query off to the db engine...

This is exactly what we saw when we tried to do with ODBC and Postgres.
The users started complaining about how slow the queries were.  Just
watching the memory useage on the linux box alone helped to confirm that
what access was doing.

Needless to say, we're still stuck using access... I was really hoping to
get this stuff into a postgres database.

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's