ODBC to MySQL

Trying to guage performance of MySQL from an ODBC connection - using the
following schema:

CREATE TABLE PartProduction (
   Part char(8) NOT NULL default '',
   Serial char(6) NOT NULL default '',
   ModelYear char(4) NOT NULL default '',
   OperatorID int(11) default NULL,
   Timestamp timestamp(14) NOT NULL,
   Container char(9) default NULL,
   ShipmentID int(11) default NULL,
   QCOperatorID int(11) default NULL,
   QCTimestamp timestamp(14) default 0,
   PRIMARY KEY  (Part,Serial,ModelYear)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

Produced some HORRIBLE performance figures with 1,000,000 rows:

Open table via ODBC (querying entire table):			29.5 s
Open form using table (I assume also querying entire table):	3:03 M!!

I'm in process of testing with InnoDB (and perhaps others), but can anyone
confirm *good* performance via ODBC? If so, perhaps, under what
configuration? Is there something obviously performance-sucking about this
layout?

	TIA,

	Lee