Re: MythTV HD?

"L. V. Lammert" wrote ..
> 1) Since ATSC is currently off-the-air only (right?), would not a DVI input
> be required to accept input from Cable, Satellite, DVD? OR, would this
> input be handled directly to the video card?

The HD input would be handed directly to the video card. DVI inputs, after
July 1, 2005 are required to implement IN HARDWARE, the broadcast flag.
No user serviceable parts inside, under penalty of a DMCA prosecution.

> 2) What video card would work best? Do any Linux cards support 1028P (the
> best format, right)? I assume that output would be DVI?

Well, I'd say the HD-3000 at this point. There /aren't/ any other Linux HD capture cards with official manufacturer-issued Linux drivers. At least open source ones we can trust that they don't implement the broadcast flag, and verify this by inspecting the source.

> 3) What is the meaning of the 'broadcast flag'?

Did you not see the URL immediately below my mention of this feature?

> >http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/

> 2) Ia ce ATSC is currently off-the-air

I think you mean NTSC (i.e. "analog"). And the popular term is "over-the-air", since "off-the-air" is what current NTSC broadcasts will be after the HDTV changeover in 2006. Or is it 2008? I think they might have pushed it back.

> 3) Most surround sound receivers require digital audo - any idea how to
> connect to this card?

From the specs:
>  * One stereo connection jack to sound card for analog TV System

That's about all I know at this point. It doesn't look like anyone else has more than stereo outs, although some have SPDIF outputs. I don't know if the 5.1 encodings are within the AC-3 (aka "MP3") packet encodings, or all we get with HDTV is plain 'ol stereo, and we'll have to wait for "HDTV2" or some other boondoggle to "upgrade" to what we have now with the DVD. My guess is that AC3 can encode 5.1 sound, so all we need is a digital-out (SPDIF) for the sound. That said, I doubt the HDTV broadcasters will be broadcasting in 5.1 sound.

If you have a technical question about the features of the card, why not actually visit the forums or send an email to them and ask the PCHDTV folks directly?

The closest competitor looks like this card:

http://www.dvico.com/products_mul_hd3.html

But, from the FAQ:
> *  Is Linux driver available?
>    We still have lots of to-do list for Windows version.
>    Unfortunately, we do not have resources to do Linux porting.

That's too bad (for them). Linux users should purchase products from vendors that _do_ have the resources to do Linux porting (or primary development), such as the PCHDTV folks.

Also of note: The cable industry has settled on a completely INCOMPATIBLE "digital TV" format, QAM, that is NOT HDTV. So, you won't be able to hook one of these puppies up to your cable or DirecTVHD or VoomTV box and record the direct signal. I don't know if the old standby of "inline it and record channel 3" has the same meaning in digital-tv land.

Mike/