Can apt automagically update the kernel?

Can "apt" be told to download and install new versions of the kernel as
they become available?  I can tell it to grab the new kernel myself (via
"apt-get install kernel#..."), but I'd prefer that it do it automatically.

I would swear that it used to grab new versions of the kernel without my
having to do anything special, but it doesn't appear to be doing that now.

I've "googled" and read the man page, but haven't figured it out yet.  8-(

Thanks!
Charlie