Re: OT: Broadband in Springfield, IL area

Just moved down from springfield in november and can tell you, one
will find only cable (exhorbinant) and directtv satellite internet
(maybe an option) for broadband in town. there is no dsl service
available in most of the city (if at all, i knew nobody who had it).
dial-up options in the area are a joke -- especially family video
(avoid like the plague... no, more like a nuclear strike).

not to rain on your friend's parade, mind you, but, as i think about
it, i found springfield itself to be black hole for geekdom; an abyss
from which one is lucky to return. of course, this is my opinion, but
one based on two and a half years of first hand experience. perhaps
your friend will fare better.

however, a point of interest, if your friend is into symphony:
sangamon auditorium out at u of i springfield (formerly sangamon state
u) has a magnificent orchestra, and regulary showcases world class
performances.

cheers

ray mccord  -- skipping the shift key today, well, mostly ;)