Fedora Core 3 and Read Only File Systems

Hello,
Recently, I installed Fedora Core 3, I haven't played around with it too
much, but it will eventually be my main box.  Yesterday I was ripping
CDs onto my computer...so I know that I could create files yesterday,
but now, one of my file systems is somehow read-only.  I can't think of
any changes that I made.  So heres some output:

[root@fedora ~]# cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /backup                 ext3    defaults
1 2

>From / ls -al has this
drwxr-x---  12 root root   4096 Jan 12 21:57 root

[root@fedora /]# cd root
[root@fedora ~]# touch testfile
touch: cannot touch `testfile': Read-only file system

I tried touching a file on /backup and it works.  Note....this is my
first experience with LVM and SELinux so something might be wrong
there.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
--Mark