Re: jar files for java

javac is the Java compiler. It takes *.java files and compiles them in
*.class files. FYI, the jar utility is used to package one or more class
files into a jar file.

The program you want is simply: java. In order to execute a jar file
give it as an argument to java, i.e. java MyClasses.jar.

A common mistake (yes, I've done it) is to try to execute a class that
depends on another class that is not in the classpath. You can set the
classpath by using the -classpath argument, i.e. java -classpath
$CLASSPATH:/path/to/needThis.jar MyClasses.jar

Hope this helps.

On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 16:07 -0600, bentley_rhodes wrote:
> how the heck do i  start a java file?  i found a Azureus*.jar and a
> jrar.jar file.  i have tried googling around and the answers i have
> found seem to be for compiling the files.
>
> also ... hehe ... how do i remove the 'open with' option under the menu
> (right clicking).  i added quite a few things while trying to get that
> *(#@&* file to open.  and is it a bad thing if there are like ten things
> there?  right now it things that a shell script called javac is supposed
> to open the file (which doesn't work).

Tom Conder