Re: enlightenment question

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 11:05, bentley_rhodes wrote:
> since i have started my Linux journey, i have pretty much gotten
> everything to work fine with Gnome, however ... i had a thought.  i
> found something called Enlightenment, and i remembered having had used
> it from my FreeBSD musings years back.  I was wondering if anyone knew
> whether it is relative to Gnome as being a good Desktop environment?

One thing to remember is that a "Desktop Environment" comprises of:
- Session Manager
- Window Manager
- File Manager

In Windows NT 4+ (2000/XP), this is:
- Graphical Display Interface (GDI)
- Explorer
- Explorer

In X11, there are several options.

Today, GNOME 2.x uses by default:
- GNOME Display Manager (GDM)
- Metacity
- Nautilus

KDE 2/3 uses by default:
- KDE Display Manager (KDM)
- KDE Window Manager (KWM) [correct me if I'm wrong on this?]
- Konqueror

Enlightenment originally started out as the default Window Manager for
GNOME 1.0.  It was later replaced by Sawfish (fka Sawmill) in 1.2 (or
1.4?), before GNOME shifted some focus in 2.x.

AFAICR, Enlightenment is both GNOME and KDE aware.  I remember some
announcement awhile back when Enlightenment was recognized as one of the
few Window Managers that can replace KWM well (traditionally there have
been more GNOME-compatible Window Managers than KDE, but that has
changed in more recent years).

It's up to you if you want to try it.  There are several ways to use
Enlightenment as your Window Manager -- either system-wide or just your
user.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux