Re: how important is ...

Kyle Pointer wrote:

> bentley_rhodes wrote:
>
>> how important is SELINUX to backup?   when backing it up with RAR,
>> there is a directory that says something about an error, i copied the
>> text to paste here, but wouldn't you know it didn't paste right.
>>
>> /selinux/booleans/yp something or other.
>>
>> it messes up in that directory and then won't continue.
>>
> Its probably just some sort of coincidince and something else is going
> wrong. Try to back up that Dir seperatly and see if it gives you
> errors, if it does there may actually be a problem in that dir. :|
> --Kyle

    now see, the interesting thing is that TAR does not have the same
problem, but RAR does.  however, using RAR (even after TAR'ing), i can
put the whole backup on one CD-ROM (660mgs about).  With BZIP2 its more
like 989mgs after compression.  Before compression it is like 2.3gigs or so.
    here is my rar.personal script (i'm not looking for corrections
unless someone just wants to, but i'm just sharing what i've been learning):

    * #!/bin/sh
      /portney/personal/programs/rar/./rar a -ag-yyyy_mmdd -m5 -ol -ow
      -r -s /media/BNTLY_RHDS/bntly_rhds.rar /portney/personal/
      chown -R bntly_rhds /media/BNTLY_RHDS/
      chgrp -R wheel /media/BNTLY_RHDS/
      chmod -R u+rwx,g+r-w+x, o+r-wx /media/BNTLY_RHDS/

   And my TAR.all script.  i'm thinking about switching the 'rar'
command to something else, like making seperate files for each 'tar'
file.  I don't think i can do that in the commands or switches, but i'm
still reading up on it.  Using the -se switch instead of the -s switch
gave me a lower compression ratio, so i ended up with something like
725mgs instead of 660 or so mgs.  i'm using solid archiving too.

    * #!/bin/sh
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/bin.tar /bin/
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/boot.tar /boot/
      ### mkdir /dev
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/etc.tar /etc/
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/home.tar /home/
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/initrd.tar /initrd/
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/lib.tar /lib/
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/misc.tar /misc/
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/opt.tar /opt/
      ### mkdir /proc
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/root.tar /root/
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/sbin.tar /sbin/
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/selinux.tar /selinux/
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/srv.tar /srv/
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/sys.tar /sys/
      ### mkdir /tmp
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/usr.tar /usr/
      tar cvpf /portney/backup/var.tar /var/
      ###rm -fv /portney/backup/*.tar.bz2
      ###bzip2 -9vz /portney/backup/*.tar
      /portney/personal/programs/rar/./rar a -ag-yyyy_mmdd-tar -df
      -ilog/portney/backup/rar_errors.log -m5 -ol -ow -r -s
      /portney/backup/backup.rar /portney/backup/
      chown -R bntly_rhds /portney/backup/
      chgrp -R bntly_rhds /portney/backup/
      chmod -R u+rwx,g+r-w+x, o+r-wx /portney/backup/

When the date switch is used (-ag-yyyy_mmdd-tar) 'rar' turned the 'a' in
'tar' into a '5.'
i can type in what all the switches mean if someone wants to know.

--
Bentley Rhodes
1435 Luce St.