[OT] Missing St. Louis ... Traveling Consultant's Blues ...

I've seen a few job postings flying around on the various St. Louis
lists as of late, so I wanted to rehash an old e-mail from 2004 Oct 28
(reposted below).

I did go back to Orlando at the end of October.  After a short-term
consulting assignment with Disney (I've been out there several times,
but it's typically not worth the drive/money), I'm currently out here in
Las Vegas for yet another, short-term contract (I've already got them
flying in 3 weeks, so it's likely to be 6 weeks total instead of their
projected 6 months for this project).  And it's looking very, very, very
likely that my next opportunity will put me with a major household name
company at a major financial company in New York, as well as other NE
clients.  All continuing my tradition of lots of travel, lots of time
away from my wife, etc... since 2001.

As much as I enjoy the challenges of implementing new financial systems
and capabilities, bringing the local support staff up-to-speed on the
systems and then moving on to the next job, I'd much rather settle
down.  Although my resume makes me look like a consultant-type, I'm
really a 10+ year employee at heart.  I'm trying to find that type of
company.  When I came up to St. Louis before, the company I was going to
work at was worried I'd leave after they saw my resume.  After proving
otherwise, the opposite happened (as discussed in my prior post), which
didn't even give me the opportunity to settle down.  I'm a mid-western
boy (grew up in northern Illinois) and I want to come back and raise a
family in the best place of the country for American families.

With my wife being a teacher, I have to plan around the school year if I
want to move her with me.  Trying to start a family on the road has been
impossible, and I'm not getting any younger, so I hope each year things
will open up.  As such, if your company is considering adding a new,
permanent (or contract-to-hire -- I'm fine with "proving myself" first)
position in the next 6 months (aiming for summer) for a Solaris, Linux,
NetApp, NT (along with many other platforms) expert with a strong
networking, systems, development and security background in the
financial systems industry, please keep me in mind.  I really loved my
brief stay in St. Louis, and hope to make it permanent sometime in the
future.

Thank you for this blatant re-abuse of the list.  I promise not to make
another one again until at least 2006.  ;->

Sinerely,

Bryan J. Smith
(407) 718-6434  (professional cell, on me 24x7)
(407) 489-7013  (personal cell)