Re: AMD 64 3400+ processor - OT - Linux Chipsets

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:21:29AM -0600, NZG wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 January 2005 07:00 pm, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> > If this box is going to run Linux, make sure you get a motherboard
> > with a VIA chipset.
>
> VIA, really? What's so great about them?
> VIA stuff always seems to be broken in Linux, which I can understand
> since the engineers at VIA are such complete jerks about releasing
> their datasheets to anyone but Microsoft(In my experience).

I don't think VIA has been a problem for almost 5 years.  (I know it
has been >3 anyway.)

> You don' t think Intel chipsets are superior?

Intel doesn't make chipsets for AMD processors.  :-)

For AMD processors, you have a choice between VIA, NVIDIA, ATI, and
SiS.  AMD made chipsets for a while, but I think they've stopped now.

(618)398-3000             | See web site for meeting details.