Re: silug: AMD 64 3400+ processor

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 14:29, bentley.rhodes wrote:
> if the 64-bit processor is worth it.  not that it
> would do me any good with what i use my computer for, but maybe it would
> if i switched over to windowsXP again and started playing games.

XP/64-bit Edition is _slower_.

It's a long story, but it has to do with the lack of portability of
Win32, and their WoW (Windows on Windows) subsystem (for those of us
around in the NT3.1/3.5 days, yes, this is the _exact_ same solution as
before).  In other words, even the 64-bit version of Unreal Tournament
2004 running on the 64-bit version of NT5.1 (XP/64) still makes 32-bit
calls through this translation layer.

The benchmarks are rather appauling versus the Linux/x86-64 version, let
alone even the 32-bit Windows version.  Linux/x86-64 distros ship with
almost entirely native 64-bit libraries (/lib64), although a few
programs are still 32-bit for various reasons (e.g., Mozilla/Firefox so
it can use 32-bit shared object (so) plug-ins).

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux