Re: server query -- inherent UNIX XDM/XDMCP v. MultiWin

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 14:57, bentley_rhodes wrote:
> i do not ask for directions as how to achieve this, i only ask if it is
> possible.  is it possible, and fairly simply (or not) to install all
> programs onto the server computer and acess them (start them) from
> another computer located upstairs?

Yes.  This is _native_ and _inherent_ to UNIX/Linux.  Both for console
(text) and X11 (GUI) access.

Microsoft calls this "Terminal Services," which is actually an
assimilation of Citrix "MultiWin" technology which they sell in their
add-on "MetaFrame" products.

Long story short, NT (FYI, NT5.0=2000, NT5.1=XP/2003) was designed to
_require_ 1 physical VGA card to 1 physical user with 1 physical
display.  This is known as the GDI (graphical display interface).
"MultiWin" is a hack to NT created by Citrix to allow virtualized GDIs.
"MultiWin" is now included as standard in NT5+, but you can only allow 1
user (remote administration) in XP Home, or 2 users (administrative
mode) in 2000/XP Pro and for more than 2 users, you must license
"Terminal Server" licenses (even if you use MetaFrame atop of that).

On UNIX, we do not require _any_ console at all.  But by default in
Linux, we allow up to 256 "psuedo terminal" connections.  These could be
local consoles, remote consoles (telnet, SSH, etc...), local X11
input/output (video card-monitor, keyboard/mouse) or even remote X11
shells/displays/etc...

> including, say at boot time the upstairs computer opens or logs on
> to the computer in the downstairs?

Yes, using XDMCP, you can actually launch a X11 (GUI) session on the
"server" computer that displays on the "local" system.  I.e.,
_everything_, from the GUI "shell" (window manager) to _all_ programs
are actually running on the "server" computer.  The "local" system is
merely providing the input/output interface.

Or you can run your X11 "session" locally (using the XDM, GDM/Gnome or
KDM/KDE "session manager"), and then SSH into the "server" computer.
You can then launch a program by merely typing something like "firefox
&" and it will launch firefox on the "server" computer and display it on
the "local" system.

XDMCP -- whereby you launch an _entire_ "remote desktop" on a local
system is akin to Windows Terminal Services.  We call this "Root X11" --
meaning the entire "root" X-Server is remote.

Regular X11 operation -- whereby you merely launch a program on a remote
system is akin to Citrix MetaFrame in "Seemless mode."  We call this
"Rootless X11" -- meaning the "root" X-Server is loca, so the X11
programs are running over the network "rootless."

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux