Re: bentley and FC3

i am an ignorant little Linux User, who has dabbled in FreeBSD and
Redhat,Mandrake, and Windows.  Bottom line is that i am ignorant and
learning.  i might take a programming class to learn how to write some,
or something similiar to, shell scripts.  however, here are the answers
to the previous letter.

i have six 3com ethernet 10/100 or whatever they are, ethernet cards.
Four of these are in the Machine downstairs (two for spares).  I have
one Linksys ethernet 10/100 card in the machine.   This means i have
five cards in the machine downstairs that are purely ethernet cards.
the linksys is the internet/ gatekeeper, the 3com's are for home use.

i do not know what you mean by lowest and highest nic aliases.  i know
what a nic is, i do not know about aliasing.  Do you mean that the
lowest alias would be 0 or 4?  4 would seem to be higher than 0 to me,
but i am ignorant again  i work in surgery and, sometimes, 0 is bigger
than 4.  Usually 4-0 is smaller than 0 and 4 is bigger than 0.
Sorry!    I want the machine to function foremost as a router.  then as
a machine that i can put my external usb2.0 hard drive on.  i have
already discovered how to use the fstab file and parted to partition and
make the entries into the fstab so i may access the drive at boot
without actually having to go through /media all the time.

when you say Physical connections to each, i'm confused.  all i know is
the following:  eth4 is connected to my aDSL modem.  eth4 is setup for
auto DHCP configuration.  i setup another connection to use eth4 to dial
the aDSL modem and reconnect if needed.  so eth4 is physically connected
to the internet if i understand correctly.  eth4 works, and i have
updated the computer over the internet.  eth3 and eth2 are physically
connected to two different computers.  eth1 and eth0 are not connected
to anything, no wires in other words.  i thought that if i did the eth3
and connected it to my computer, then i could automatically connect to
the internet through the other computer by auto-DHCP'ing to the
downstairs computer.  However, i'[m thinking i have to supply IP
address,subnet address, and default gateway address.  i do not know if
the IP address and the Default gateway address need be the same or not,
for instance 192.168.0.1 or if the IP be *.*.0.2 and the gateway *.*.0.1

i was reading in the DUMMIES book that the gateway upstairs needs to
match my IP downstairs.  but it never mentioned what the IP upstairs was
supposed to be.

i'm starting to think i should attend some of these meetings and see
whats going on!