Re: ubuntu (was: Xandros3 released)

I have tried it and liked/disliked it. In my case I went with it on an old
Mac G3 powerbook and a Blue&White G3. The powerbook because I was tired of
waiting for Yellowdog to release 4.0, and on the B&W because Yellowdog
doesn't support our flavor of B&W (they have the rare scsi disks in them,
most are IDE).

Likes: it just plain worked. Very nice desktop interface setup in gnome.
Got all the sound and most of the powerbook buttons to work. Smooth
design, and nice apt (debian) updating. Runs better (well, faster)  than
OSX on this hardware.

Dislike: Sort of forced to have some packages that I don't normally have,
for example emacs must be installed if you want the nice, smooth desktop
desktop interface mentioned above. I don't use emacs (to my knowledge), so
it is a waste disk space for me. I didn't really look into it very much,
and now the powerbook is on loan to someone else and the B&W is used by
yet again someone else.

So, very well worth it for my case of older Mac hardware. Not enough
better to make me change on Intel-like platforms. Mostly, my
distro-experimentation days are over, or on hiatus.

Erich