Re: Printer Sharing

From: "L. V. Lammert" <lvl@omnitec.net>
> Need to setup a printer share on a new SAMBA server setup,
> .. it *looks* like SAMBA will only share a 'local' printer, right?

Not true at all.  Samba can share out _any_ printer that is _spooled_
by the local system.  I create Samba print servers all the time.

I only need to have a local spool.  It doesn't matter if its spooling to
a CUPS, JetDirect, LPR, SMB, etc... sysetm.

> Well this printer is a copy machine, supposed to be standard LPR
> port, with an IP address.

Setup CUPS, LPRng, etc... as normal.
Then share it out via Samba.

> Any pointers or direction on how it should be setup?

In general, I now go the full CUPS-Samba route.
That includes not only setting up CUPS in Samba,
but setting up the CUPS Driver for Windows and automatic downloading.

The latter is free beer (due to licensing issues with the MS DDK).
It basically installs an "universal" print driver for CUPS.
Once that is done, CUPS-Samba will configure PPDs and distribute them
for use with the driver.
Meanwhile, you can setup all PPD options _centrally_ on the print server
(instead of users being able to change defaults individually -- which they
could do with the normal Adobe Postscript driver for Windows).

Once you do it once, you'll never go back.
Hit the Samba HOWTO collection on how to do it.

How the server side works:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#id2564162

How the CUPS driver for Windows and automated downloads work:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#id2564820

-- Bryan