Re: grep question

On Wednesday, Dec 8, 2004, at 09:45 US/Central, Charlie Brune wrote:
>    The directory is optional.  If not specified, it defaults to the
>    current directory.

Your right for the linux machines I tried, but on OS/X (and possibly
other *BSDs):

$ find -type f
find: illegal option -- t
find: illegal option -- y
find: illegal option -- p
find: illegal option -- e
f: f: No such file or directory

So, defaulting to the current directory is either a recent addition or
a GNU-ism.

>    xargs is too hard for me to type in.  8-)  Let the computer do the
>    work.  It's only electricity.

That's ok for a few files.  But when you start getting into the
thousands, all those process forks begin to add up.

>    I TOTALLY didn't know about the "-r" option for grep!  It's the
>    way to go!  I will never use the find command with grep again in
>    my whole entire life!

In this case, yes, -r appears to be the optimal solution.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource.  Distribute FLOSS for
Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent