CVS alternatives

We are currently running a CVS server, and really like what it does for our
business when it works.

But it keeps crashing, getting corrupted, losing it's permissions, it's been a
real struggle for us to keep up and I can't help but wonder.

If were getting into it at this stage of the game, should we maybe spend our
time learning a newer, more flexible system?

Does anyone out there have any experiences with versioning systems that they
would like to share?
What works best for you?

thx,
NZG.