Re: nfs exports

On Monday, Nov 22, 2004, at 01:03 US/Central, Casey Boone wrote:
> teaching myself how to use nfs exports (previously i just used samba)
> what are the security implications of using nfs? is there anything i
> should do (asside from iptables) in order to secure these shares?

What does your network layout look like?   For example, does it look
like this:

{Net}--{modem/cable modem/ADSL modem/}--{NAT/FW/router}--{switch} ...
machines

or like this:

{Net}--{switch} ... machines

or like this:

{Net}--{machine}--{switch} ... machines

or something else?  If you have the first setup above with two machines
on the LAN side and only you are using the machines on the LAN side, I
would use NFS and only worry about the security on the firewall.  On
the other hand, if you have the second setup, I'd worry a lot and
redesign the layout to look more like the first setup.

But that's just my opinion.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource.  Distribute FLOSS for
Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent