Re: Open Source research - sources?

NZG wrote:

>My wife is working on her PHD in Sociology down here at SIU, and is interested
>in researching the modern open-source/GNU/FLOSS movement.
>She asked me the other day if there are any good web sites out there about the
>open source movement and I said yea, lots of them.
>Then she asked me what some good ones were.
>I figure www.gnu.org is the best place to start, and work in from there.
>What do you think? What are some other good ones?

Eric Raymond's paper about Open Source development:

>http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/

The Cathedral and the Bazaar is definitely something anyone studying
Open Source should read (regardless of personal feelings about ESR, RMS,
guns, etc).

Trolling Oreilly sites and reading about the histories of PERL,  Linux,
Apache, MySQL, and maybe PostgreSQL should give one a pretty good
sampling of the different models of open source development, integration
or separation from for-profit businesses, and the people involved.

Googling larry+wall state onion will give you links to Larry Wall's
(creator of PERL) annual speech at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention.
He, Eric Raymond, and Tim O'Reilly are definitely alpha geeks and
whatever they say at conventions sends all of the rest of the geeklings
scrambling to be more like them.  The State of the Onion speeches from
the late 90s focus a lot on the gift culture aspects of Open Source and
compare that to Native American gift culture societies.  I think all of
the speeches are available on the net

All of the O'Reilly content is under oreilly.com and is not terribly
easy to hunt around and find useful tidbits that aren't random people's
blogs and/or plugs for O'Reilly books.

Just my .02USD