Re: apt-get for FC3? -- FC2 (CL4.0) and FC3 (CL4.1) are ABI

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 17:24, Robert Citek wrote:
> Is there an apt-get for FC3 or can I use the one for FC2?
> Had a look around the apt.silug.org site and at
> http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO but didn't see one for FC3.

Since FC3 (CL4.1) and FC2 (CL4.0) are ABI compatible, all Fedora Extra
(Fedora. US) packages for FC2 should work on FC3 -- including APT, etc...
Unfortunately, Fedora Extras (Fedora.US) doesn't seem to have all the
packages rebuild for FC3 yet.

Otherwise, Fedora.US _does_ have all Fedora Core and Updates.  So
you _can_ point the Fedora Core lines in your file
  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mirror-select.list
to the appropriate Fedora Core 3 directory.

But you'll need to wait a bit for the Fedora Extras packages.

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 18:14, Erich Schroeder wrote:
> freshrpms.net already has their apt repository for fc3 set up.

Unfortunately, FreshRPMS.NET is an unofficial, 3rd Party Repository for
Fedora.  Fedora.US is _the_ Fedora Extras Repository.

Personal Note:  The second I uninstalled _all_ FreshRPMS.NET packages in
2003, it was the second I began to experience complete APT bliss.
Before that, FreshRPMS.NET gave me headaches.

Now if I need something that Fedora Core, Extras or Livna.ORG (which is
run by the Extras guys for former Fedora.US packages that don't fit Red
Hat's free software guidelines, hence not in Fedora Extras) doesn't
have, I go to DAG's site.  He maintains a running list of 5 different
3rd Party Repositories, and does an excellent job of maintaining Fedora
Core, Extras and Livna.ORG compatibility/awareness.

> You should be able to run "yum install apt" but I lost interest and
> stopped waiting.

FreshRPMS.NET is one repository I avoid like the black plague.  Again, I
hit DAG -- typically there's a better package than the one at
FreshRPMS.NET.

And I only temporarily add DAG's repository to my /etc/apt/sources.list
for just that one package when I need it.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org