Re: Knoppix question and story time!

You should be able to su and then set a password and the next time it
will prompt for a password. There is a way to store settings for knoppix
using a USB key or a part of your hard disk, but I have never really
messed with that.

I only use Knoppix to demonstrate linux. This past summer I taught a
course at a community college lovingly called "Operating Systems," which
was really an intermediate XP course. I know, I know, sounds like
torture, right? Whatever puts money on the table and puts my foot in the
door. I was able to fit one session's worth of discussion on linux. I
gave copies of the latest Knoppix to all my students and we all booted
into Linux together. It was rather fun and exciting to see these folks
getting their first taste of Linux. They were also required to do a lab
at home or in the lab using the Knoppix cd that had them root around in
the various applications like Mozilla, OpenOffice, Frozen Bubble, K3B,
and others. It went very well except for the minority of folks that used
dialup and didn't have an internet connection that just "worked" for
them. Some of my favorite responses to the whole thing were: "You mean I
can download all of this stuff and its free!?!" "Wow, I can export as a
PDF, how much do you have to pay Adobe to do this?" Needless to say,
this was the session I had been looking forward to all semester. We
discussed the GPL and other OSL's and talked about the various
distributions and where they could download or buy them. They struggled
a little with the definition of "free" software, but I think they
eventually got it. It was the first time I really felt like I was giving
back to the OS community.

Ken