Re: USB v1 and v2 compatibility -- OHCI v. EHCI ...

> IEEE1394 has a very intelligent host controller.
> USB is ultra-dumb, CPU drives it completely.
> USB was designed this way so it was easy for Intel and Microsoft.
> That's why end-devices lagged 3+ years.
> It's also why more than a few USB devices on a bus conflict.
> Because the "brains" are in the end-device software driver.

lappy works fine with 1394 if i use a usb2/1394 cardbus card i bought,
so like i said, either my port is touchy or the controller card i have
is.  it might be the fact it is a 4pin port so perhaps it isnt making
great contact with all the pins, but i have used several different 4
pin to 6 pin cables for the same result.

> > we shall see.
>
> Silent corruption is never a good thing.
> Especially since you don't know about it.

i wont be using it for storing any data i care if i lose.  what i will
be doing is stress testing with some scripts that sit and run
rsync/cp/mv/etc... from both machines periodically stopping and doing
a verify that the contents are what they should be.

> > i also want to attempt to network the machines over 1394 and stress
> > test it to see if it breaks.
>
> Now that should work.
> IEEE1394 shouldn't have any host-to-host transfer issues.
> It's when you have two hosts, one end-device, that's when you get trouble.

i have done networking in the past over 1394 between various windows
boxes, and what i find is that if you transfer files over windows
shares over a 1394 link it runs a risk of making the 1394 card
inoperable until you reboot.  if you use ftp to transfer the files
instead it still might crash, but it is far far less likely.  i have
benchmarked getting sustained 18MB/s ftp, and i think the limiting
factor was the hard drive in the destination machine (i own no gigE
cards so i havent tested for certain, i was uploading from my laptop
to a machine with an older 40 gig hard drive)