Re: [Slightly OT] USB v1 and v2 compatibility

I've run an external USB 2.0 CR-RW off a 1.1 port on
my laptop many times, it works fine (under windoze,
linux and BSD). However, you can only burn at 4X.
Better to get a USB 2 PCMCIA card. I only have one
PCMCIA slot (cardbus), and I usually have a wireless
NIC in it.

--- Brad Boeckmann <silug@b13.us> wrote:

> Although not directly a Linux question...
>
> I've got a laptop that is older and is USB v1
> compatible. I want to purchase
> an external CD-RW drive. All the drives I see for
> sale are USB v2.
>
> My concern: the USB v2 data transfer speeds are much
> greater. Will I run
> into buffer under run issues by using a USB v2 drive
> with a USB v1 laptop?
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> TIA,
> Brad.