Re: wireless bridging with WRT54G routers

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 08:42:33PM -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> I'd be interested in hearing the details about your project, and
> particularly about the Sveasoft version you're using. I understand
> it's very dependent upon what version of WRT54G software you have.

I think even the stock firmware is *capable* of some neat tricks, but
it's really hard to get it to do anything interesting, and you lose
all the neat stuff when the box reboots.

The two routers that I'm using for bridging are running the latest
Sveasoft subscriber-only firmware (yes, I'm a subscriber), but I think
the setup would work fine with their publicly-released firmware as
well.

The trick (which should have been obvious, but wasn't until Steve R.
pointed it out in the instructions from Sveasoft :) was to make sure
to enter the *wireless* MAC (not the ethernet MAC) when setting up WDS
in the web interface on the router.  (Conveniently, the wireless MAC
is the ethernet MAC, which is printed on the bottom of the router,
plus 2.)

BTW, if any of you who have WRT54Gs would like to load one of the
alternate firmware images, but you are nervous about rendering the
router unbootable, come by the store.  We'll flash your choice of
firmware for a nominal fee.  (And fix it if something goes wrong for
no additional charge, of course.  :-)

(618)398-3000             | See web site for meeting details.