Re: Zaurus discontinued in US -- best PDAs for Linux desktops are

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 23:43, Casey Boone wrote:
> this truely saddens me
> the only brand of pda i was interested in buying, pretty much gone as
> an option by the time i get done with school and can afford to
> actually buy one :(

The best and most Linux desktop compatible PDAs are actually
PalmOS-based IMHO.

I started with the Kyocera 6135 (still working) almost 4 years ago.
I upgraded to the Kyocera 7135 (broke recently**) about 18 months ago.
I'm now running with a Treo 600 and don't think I'll go back to Kyocera.

The Kyoceras "SmartPhones" were nice when Handspring-Palm didn't have
full phone functionality.  What impressed me was that they were a phone
first, then a Palm PDA second (and fully compatible).  But now that the
Treo 600 is here, with full mic, speakerphone, camera (std. res),
etc..., I don't think I'll go back.

PalmOS means it's Pilot-ready, and works perfectly with any GNOME, KDE,
Java or other Pilot-based system.  I've been syncing them all with
Evolution (GPilot), for a total of almost 4 years now.

-- Bryan

**NOTE:  I finally jumped away from Verizon and to AT&T/Cingular,
including going GSM which ended up being a _lot_ cheaper than CDMA with
Verizon (at least with the number of minutes I needed).  Verizon's
stores have also _lied_ everytime I signed up for a new plan (and I
often called to confirm and they wouldn't budge on honoring the
"franchise's, not their, promise").  Another major reason being AT&T
activated me in no time in the middle of an airport, and I still got the
rebate on the Treo (even though I didn't buy it from them).  Lastly, I
still haven't gotten Verizon to honor their insurance on my phone weeks
later (their insurer is _impossible_ to get ahold of -- web, phone,
etc..).

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org