Re: Grepping a Binary Input

What kind of binary stream. There is a flag for grep to tell it to treat
a binary file as a particular type:

grep --binary-file=text Subject /var/spool/mail/mboxfile

will tell grep to read the mbox file as a plain text. Might also work when
greping from stdin, but I've never tried it.

eks

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Travis Owens wrote:

> What tools/utils can I use to grep a binary stream from a redirect?
>
> Thanks!

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/