Re: Installation Woes

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 12:24, Nathaniel Reindl wrote:
> Well, here's what I did.  Instead of agonizing over trying to find
> another floppy drive and a floppy drive for my workstation,

A big problem with FC2 (CL4.0, and probably all future CL4.x releases)
is that the installer image is bigger than 1.44MB.

> I went ahead and just wrote one of the bootable images on the Fedora
> media to a CompactFlash card, stuck that into a PCMCIA adapter, and
> booted off of that.  As far as the computer is concerned, it's an IDE
> device.

Yep.  Red Hat now pushes the 6MB "FAT" image for CF, USB, FireWire,
etc... installation method -- whatever your BIOS will support booting
from.  Works _perfectly_ (and fast!).

Red Hat is hard at work on a new set of programs -- from the Anaconda
installer to network and other programs -- that are unified around YUM.
The biggest complaint with Fedora Core 2 is that there are no less than
5 meta-package lists used by different utilities.  There is no need for
such with packaging front-ends like YUM and APT.

In a nutshell, Red Hat is trying as best as it can to join the 21st
century of package distribution.  Fedora is the point, but RHEL gets all
the developments too (just check out the APT/YUM support in UP2DATE in
RHEL).

> If you're not already running in poor student mode and don't expect to
> be for a while, this might be a feasible way to go.

Yep.  Use the 6MB "FAT" image on another medium.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org