Re: Installation Woes

On Saturday, Oct 16, 2004, at 22:12 US/Central,
mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> On Saturday, Oct 16, 2004, at 18:52 US/Central, Aaron wrote:
>> I have an older IBM Thinkpad that will not allow me to boot from a CD
>> (really, no bios settings or Smart Boot Manager will make it). I have
>> small Win 98 install on it and Zipslack as well. I can boot from
>> floppies
>> but must reboot the system if I wish to switch to CD.
>
> Sounds like one of the ones I've heard of that Xandros can run on.
> It's not
> pretty or easy, but it can be done. The process might be similar for
> other distributions.
>
> And, you're in luck, since there's a CWE-LUG meeting tomorrow afternoon
> at the ACLU building in St. Louis. See http//www.cwelug.org/ for
> details.
>
> They run a monthly workshop just for problems like yours. And Robert
> Citek,
> the CWE-LUG founder, just also happens to be one of those people that
> have
> gotten Xandros to install on an older IBM TP. A 600E, IIRC.

Yup.  600E and 600 among other's that I have listed here with some
notes:

   http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?Xandros

Veronica's using the X20 right now running Xandros Deluxe 2.0 and
connecting to the net over WiFi.  Many thanks to Steve for helping me
get the Proxim Harmony card working.  I was overlooking the obvious:
set mode to "Managed"

Give the type of machine you have, you actually have several options:

1) attach an external CD-ROM either through the TPs external drive
connector (many earlier machines have this; looks like a 1 cm long SCSI
connection) or the PCMCIA slot.
2) external USB2/FireWire drive from PCMCIA slot; put the ISOs on the
drive.
3) network install (built-in ethernet or PCMCIA)
4) remove drive, use newer laptop to do install, return drive to your
machine.  The TPs are designed so that replacing HDs is very painless.

Every distribution I know can handle one of the above options.  I'd use
whatever distro you are already familiar with.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource.  Distribute FLOSS for
Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent