Re: Questions about Fedora 2

On Friday, Oct 1, 2004, at 11:18 US/Central, Ken Keefe wrote:
> Where is insmod, modprobe, and ifconfig? I finally got my network card
> recognized, but there is no ifconfig command. I don't know how else to
> check that I actually got an IP from the DHCP without it.

They are there.  As root:
# which insmod modprobe ifconfig
/sbin/insmod
/sbin/modprobe
/sbin/ifconfig

And they come from the following rpm packages.  Again, as root:
# which insmod modprobe ifconfig  | xargs rpm -qf | sort -u
modutils-2.4.26-16
net-tools-1.60-25.1

> Is there an Update feature or better yet, an automagic update feature?
> can't seem to find it.

yum or apt-get, although I prefer apt-get:

   http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

> How do I turn on automounting like I have in Mandrake? I tried to
> connect a usb hard drive and had to struggle to figure out the right
> line to add to fstab.

Automounting exists in Fedora (see /etc/init.d/autofs and 'man autofs')
  I don't know how Mandrake does automounting so I can't say how it
compares with Fedora.

Regards,
- Robert
OpenSource for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS/X
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads