Looking for short-term residence in St. Louis vicinity ...

All --

It's very likely that I will be relocating to the St. Louis area for a
6-month contract (with an client located in downtown St. Louis).  I'm
currently keeping my NE Orlando home (as long as Jeanne doesn't finish
up Charlie and Frances started -- still waiting on the roof to get
repaired, but no major leaks, yet ;-) and will commute back every 2-3
weekends to see the wife.

As such, I'm looking for a 1-bedroom studio in either Illinois "over the
river" or outside (west of?) St. Louis -- wherever is popular for common
white collar folk.  No kids, no wife (at this time, that may change if
the position goes permanent -- she has her commitments here and I'm not
taking a chance of what happened last year happening again ;-), just
me.  Not looking for anything fancy, just functional, safe and
relatively close.

I've just heard that over the river into more like Fairview Heights, or
west of St. Louis (more traffic in the commute?) are ideal.

-- Bryan

P.S.  I'm also curious what the state tax rates are currently between IL
and MO?  That might be a consideration if I stay more permanently, and
have to deal with the fact that I was "resident" for 6 months in one of
the states.  In FL, we don't have a state income tax -- we are protected
from seeing one ever hit us in our state Constitution (although some
politicians get "creative" sometimes, but they don't last when they do
;-).

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org