Re: Sendmail vs. Postfix vs. ?

"L. V. Lammert" <lvl@omnitec.net> wrote ..
> When you're using Open Source software, it makes sense (both to me and
> a lot of other folks) to only use and support the s/w that is licensed
> according to the principals to which we subscribe.
>
> qMail (et al djb), PostFix, the new Apache are NOT BSD (i.e. completely
> free) licensed s/w and do not get our support.

Lee, please refrain from characterizing BSD-style licenses as somehow "more" free or "completely" free than another or any or all other licenses. There are a large number of people who believe that a sub-licensee of derived BSD software are, in fact, nowhere near "completely free" to obtain and correct defects in BSD-derived software, and in fact are likely to be _more_ at risk and risk of _greater damage_ due to a software defect in BSD-sub-licensed software than code escrow or guaranteed source access licenses like the GPL.

For example, who's to say that Microsoft's BSD-derived TCP/IP stack doesn't have undocumented alterations that make any licensees of Microsoft's software with that stack completely unable (i.e. no freedom) to seek out and utilize alternatives?

There are those that take the position that the GPL guarantees sub-licensees the same rights as the first-class original licensees. BSD offers no such benefit or "freedom".

Please take this BSD cheerleading thread over to the STLBSD.org lists. I subscribe here to discuss Linux-related topics, as this is a *Linux* User Group, and I would think others would agree with me that a BSD thread would be of more interest to the area BSD community over on their lists.

Mike/