Re: Sendmail vs. Postfix vs. ?

Steven Pritchard <steve@silug.org> wrote ..
> And, like I said before, I like to throw webmail on the top of all
> that, and Fedora ships with squirrelmail.  Plus I've found that users
> can handle the squirrelmail interface just fine, so it seems to be a
> good choice...  (Note that squirrelmail is just another IMAP client.)

Except that squirrelmail barfs big chunks with a full mailbox (>1K msgs or so).

I prefer to put up UserMin and that lets the users do more than just read email via the web. They can manage their html directory if your webserver allows that, and upload/download files and other goodies. It uses IMAP.

And since UserMin is a WebMin module, that implies you've setup WebMin for yourself. As Lee mentioned, there are WebMin modules for both sendmail and postfix. The one for postfix is decent, but doesn't make it easy to setup things like SASL-auth and using SSL. But then, that's probably just as much a PITA, if not more so under sendmail.

The big difference between POP and IMAP is that POP thinks your mailbox is one big honkin' file, and the messages are either on the server or get deleted after you've copied them to your client machine. IMAP lets you move the messages around into managed "folders" (aka directories), but the messages remain on the server.

The decision is where you want the "permanent" repository of the email to be -- on the server or on the client.