Re: Sendmail vs. Postfix vs. ?

At 02:05 AM 9/3/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I am going to begin working on an email server for a group ranging from
>50 to 500 people. I have not previously worked with any kind of mail
>server and I wanted to get your opinions on which server to use. My
>understanding is that sendmail is pretty much the standard, but Mandrake
>seems to prefer Postfix. Then again, for all I know, they could be the
>same thing!

Sendmail comes built-in, and has no license restriction that make it
unpaletable to the BSD-style folks (as do Postfix and qMail).

Personally, I like Sendmail for another reason - the Webmin module makes
admin functions completely painless. The Webmin modules for Postfix, et al,
are nowhere near as robust nor complete (albiet part of that could be a
lack of comparitive functions - i.e. how to translate sendmail nomenclature
to Postfix configuration).

>Anyway, what mail server should I look into and why? I'd like to
>eventually be able to offer IMAP for the few that want it, but mostly I
>need POP services.

IMAP & POP services have nothing to so with sendmail anyway. (We use
Courier for client access and Horde for web.)

         Lee