Sendmail vs. Postfix vs. ?

I am going to begin working on an email server for a group ranging from
50 to 500 people. I have not previously worked with any kind of mail
server and I wanted to get your opinions on which server to use. My
understanding is that sendmail is pretty much the standard, but Mandrake
seems to prefer Postfix. Then again, for all I know, they could be the
same thing!

Anyway, what mail server should I look into and why? I'd like to
eventually be able to offer IMAP for the few that want it, but mostly I
need POP services.

M$ servers need not apply...

Thanks,
Ken