Re: high speed internet carbondale

Quoting bob@evilkat.com:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 03:27:17PM -0500, Matt Wehland wrote:
> > I just checked on their site to be sure, but Verizon is now claiming to
> offer
> > DSL 768/128 in Murphysboro.  I had gotten an email from them a month or 2
> ago
> > claiming that they now service my area, this from a request around January
> of
> > this year, when they didn't offer it here.
> > $29.95 for 768/128, I didn't bother to dig for any hidden fees.
> >

> this was the exact service that they were trying to get (although it was
> only
> like 20 a month for the first six months with some multi-line package and
> you have to take this long distance carrier and they want half the soul of
> your
> first born after it's third full moon . . . you get the idea)
>
> when my friend finally got someone who would talk to them at verizon she was
>
> told that while they were trying to get allowed to sell dsl service in
> murphy but hadn't been approved
>
> later she called city hall and a clerk there confirmed that verizon wasn't
> allowed to sell dsl in that area
>
> of course i didn't talk to any of these people personally so i'm getting
> this
> second hand, and i trust what anyone from verizon says about as much as I
> trust
> a microsoft marketing exec but you never know

I just checked a handful of Murphysboro numbers and, out of five, we could do
three at >1.5mbps, one at 768/128, and one wasn't possible (probably too far
from CO).  I prequalified the lines through Verizon's telco system (independent
of their own DSL offering).

VerizonOnline is spreading to all of the markets down here in an attempt to
ensure that you the customer have as few choices as possible as far as your
voice and data are concerned.  They will probably offer their own 768 DSL in
lots of areas before they have to let slip some of their death grip on the
markets and offer DSL a la carte and even offer number portability to VOIP
providers in the area.  They're going to lose those battles eventually so
they'll try to consolidate as much of the customer share as possible to make it
more painful to drop any single Verizon service as a customer.

I still know of no such restrictions that any municipalities can place on
telecommunications. Several townships have excise taxes on telecommunications
(Equality, Harrisburg, and Elizabethtown all do up my way) and many counties
have local control over 911 and emergency services fees to be added to bills
but none of us over here at the phone company at which I work knew of any towns
in which certain telcos weren't allowed to do certain things by local
ordinance.

The people in Murphysboro were probably talking about Verizon not offering their
own DSL in the area yet for technical, logistical, or financial reasons.  Techs
and salespeople can give wildly varying explanations as to why broadband is not
available to a potential customer and FUD does happen.

Ken Hagan
Technology Consultant
Alacrity-IT, Inc
http://www.alacrity-it.com/