Re: Knoppix, wifi, tests

Forget the D-Link DWL-650. There are four version of
this card with four different chipsets. The original
version was prism2, but newer ones are admtek, etc. I
really think it is a crime for manufacturers to switch
chipsets but use the same model number, but nobody
asked me! I use this site to check out different
cards:

http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

So far, the best supported card I have owned is one of
the now defunct microsoft cards (mn-520). It works
under BSD and Linux. Prism2 is nice! Stay away from
Prism3, because it loads the firmware at runtime (the
driver does this).

--- Robert Citek <rwcitek@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I went to Office Depot and bought three different
> wifi cards to test
> with Knoppix 3.6 on an IBM X20 laptop:
>
>    D-Link 802.11b DWL-650
>    Linksys 802.11b WPC11 v4
>    Linksys 802.11g WPC54G v2
>
> None of them worked with Koppix 3.6.  The only card
> that has
> consistently worked well with Knoppix 3.6 is a
> Netgear 802.11b MA401.
> Should the above cards have worked, and if so, how?
>
> Will try a few other brand.  I'm keeping track on
> this wiki page:
>
>    http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?WiFi
>
> Feel free to add you own experiences.
>
> Regards,