Re: Missing something

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 17:02, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> "Robert G. (Doc) Savage" <dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote ..
> > Besides named, is there a dependent or supporting service that needs to
> > be restarted to kick named in the fanny and get it running? Something
> > like portmapper for nfs?
>
> Send a SIGHUP to the named process.
>
> e.g. 'kill -1 named_pid' or 'kill -HUP named_pid'.
>
> BTW, 'kill -1 pid1 [pid2 ...]' sends a SIGHUP to the specified pid(s).
>
> The manpage says this forces named to re-read its config files. You did read it, no? :=)

Mike,

Read it, yes! No joy on your suggestion, though. :-/

I can do an 'rndc reload' and an 'rndc stop', each with no complaints.
The second does indeed stop the server. I have to use 'service named
start' to get it going again because 'rndc restart' hasn't been
implemented yet. It appears that any command protected by the secret key
is being blocked. Examples: 'rndc status', 'rndc trace', and so on.

For the record, RHEL's startup script forces named into chroot
configuration with '/usr/sbin/named -u named -t /var/named/chroot'.
This shouldn't cause me any problems since the redhad-config-bind stores
its cd zone files in /var/named/chroot/var/named.

I appreciate any ideas, no matter how improbable they might seem...

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
RHEL3/ESu2 on Tyan S2468UGN w/3G, dual Athlon MP 2800+, 1.1T RAID5
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov